Forcible and/or violent entry: insurance need-to-know

Einbrecher will mit einer Brechstange eine Haustür aufhebeln

Many insurance policies include cover for forcible and violent entry, which provides protection against crimes such as break-ins. The fine print is important in policies, and it’s important to understand how they typically respond, to give you the best chance of the claim being paid.

Forcible and violent entry involves unlawful entry into either premises or a container. For instance, forcible entry includes evidence of a padlock that has been cut, a kicked-in door or a lock that’s been jimmied. Violence refers to active violence, such as threats or intimidation made towards an individual to hand over property or belongings, for example in the case of a hold-up.

There is, however, a difference between forcible and violent entry and forcible or violent entry in insurance policies. The forceful or violent entry definition is often used in home and contents policies. So, if you walk away from your home and a thief breaks into it and enters the premises and steals your belongings, that would be covered under a forcible or violent entry policy.

However, in a commercial policy, typically forcible and violent entry is covered. So, if items are left unrestrained or not secure under lock and key, the policy may not respond. Most commercial policies have the option to include this cover, and policyholders can choose to select the type of cover they require, for instance, contents and stock.

Managing the claims process

Once your insurance policy is in place, it’s good risk management to do as much as you can to secure your property.

If you do suffer a theft or similar and wish to make a claim under the forcible and violent entry or forcible or violent entry clause in your policy, the first step is to understand the cover you have.

In the event of a claim, underwriters will require proof of ownership. This may include the original purchase receipt, through to manuals or warranties that came with the item. Failing that, the accessories that go with the items may be used as proof of ownership. For instance, if you are making a claim for a cordless drill set, the box the drill came in may be used as proof of ownership. Photographic evidence is also suitable evidence.

Overall, however, it’s important to take all possible precautions with your property. Insurance should be considered a last resort, not the first option, when it comes to reducing the risk of forcible and violent entry. After all, it’s a lot easier to protect an item by having it secured than having to claim against an insurance policy.

The information contained herein is of a general nature only and is not intended to be relied upon nor is it a substitute for appropriate professional advice. Whilst all care has been taken in the preparation of the material, it is not guaranteed to be accurate. Individual circumstances are different and as such require specific examination. Asparq cannot accept liability for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of the use of or reliance upon all or any part of this material. Additional information may be made available upon request.